PTE Describe the image question type is the third prompt type in the real PTE exam, which tests your ability of how well you describe the key points of the image in a short span of time. This question is the easiest part of the speaking section if you prepare well, and you are aware of the tips and tricks to tackle this question type. It allows 25 Seconds time to prepare and jot down the key points from the given image, and then once beep sound plays you have to start describing the image for 40 seconds. It is quite chaotic if you are not very well prepared with the structure of describing an image properly.
Different Type of PTE Describe Images
In the exam, you will encounter with the different types of PTE describe images such as:
- Bar Graph
- Line graph
- Pie chart
- Flowchart diagram
- Venn Diagram
A total of six different images will be asked during the PTE academic exam. Let look into a template which you should follow blindly in order to improve your PTE describe image score. But, firstly we will look into what PTE requires from the test takers. PTE evaluation algorithm will look into the sentence formation and paragraph formation. A description of any image or thing is only completed when it has three ingredients. First, introductory statement; Second, key highlight point; Third, the conclusion. If you have included these three points while describing the image, then chances are really high that the PTE algorithm will give you better marks then the image described randomly. Let’s look at the format which you should remember for the described image:
How to start the introduction of the image:
The given (type of image eg: Bar Graph) represents or shows or depicts….(Title and then the X-axis and Y-axis if it is a bar graph or line graph, or what the image is about)
Highlight the key points:
Compare the highest and the lowest point or the trend of the graph or char and quantity of each other.
Write a Conclusion in the PTE Describe Images:
Conclude the graph or image with the overall trend or the future trend by assuming from the graph. Don’t worry if you are assuming wrong then you will not lose the mark. It is just the algorithm requires the conclusion of the image.
Sample Answer to Describe image
The given bar graph gives information about the destinations of holidaymaker from Indonesia to various countries such as Australia, Someland, Korea, Japan and so on. It is clearly visible that the highest number of tourist from Indonesia visited Someland, which are around 1000000 tourists. The least visited tourist destination place amongst all is Pakistan, where just around 300000 people visited there. Overall, Someland is the most favorite destination place amongst the visitors.
Tips and Tricks for Describe Images:
- Avoid ‘umming’ and ‘urring’ while speaking. This will reduce your oral fluency and overall marks.
- Remember to avoid the grammatical mistake while forming the sentence.
- Prepare this structure and practice over and over again to speak automatically in this format. Remember our previous blog where we discuss the proper practice. Read how to get 79+ score in PTE exam
- Practice the speaking in below format
- 10 Seconds for introduction
- 20 Seconds for highlighting key points
- 6 Seconds for conclusion
- Don’t try to speak for a full 40 seconds. Stop before the 36 Seconds, because if you will extend your speaking for 40 seconds then you might miss the conclusion and lose the marks.
- After completion of the introduction, the next step is to explain the highlighting factor of the graph. You can go to the highest factor and the changing trends within the years mentioned. If you see any constant factor, the lowest factor in the image you can explain that too. But try to explain it within 20 seconds. Try to speak clearly without getting confused between the task. Remember one thing –SPEAKING IN FLUENCY AND PRONUNCIATION =TO SUCCESS.
Avail the PTE mock test free for your practice of the Describe image and implement these methods after preparing for it. Just visit PTE GURUS and sign up to avail of this offer.